Considered one of the finest surviving examples of domestic architecture from the period, the 1832 late-Federal and Greek Revival Merchant’s House is a designated landmark on the federal, state, and city level. In New York City, it was the first building designated in the borough of Manhattan following the passing of the Landmarks Preservation law in April 1965. It is one of only 117 interior and exterior landmarks in the City. In 1966, the Merchant’s House was recognized as a National Historic Landmark (one of only 2,400) and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the only historic house museum in the Greenwich Village/Soho/NoHo neighborhoods and celebrated 75 years as a museum in 2011. *Source: Merchant's House Museum.
Image courtesy Museum of the City of New York