The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) has partnered with Coursera to offer free online business courses developed by industry experts at the world’s best universities to businesses in New York City. These classes are the perfect opportunity to learn more about growing, expanding, and operating your business. If you have any questions about this program, please reach out to the BID. These classes are offered every couple of months, check back here for updates on the next round of classes.
Course programs will include:
- Building Your Own Business helps aspiring entrepreneurs turn their idea into a viable business.
- Operating and Financing Your Business helps entrepreneurs who are ready to launch or already operating a business to plan their operations, understand and manage their financials, and access financing.
- Mastering Marketing & Sales helps entrepreneurs who are ready to launch or already operating a business to develop sales and marketing strategies, and master tactics such as social media marketing and search engine optimization (SEO) for their website.
- Managing & Leading People helps existing business owners learn to recruit, hire, and manage employees, and develop leadership and communication skills.
- Achieving Your Growth Potential helps growth-seeking business owners identify growth opportunities, create a growth plan, and communicate the plan to their team, stakeholders, and customers.
To be eligible you must live or operate a business in New York City, have an internet-connected device to use to complete the course, and be devote at least two hours a week for at least four weeks to complete a course.
To apply complete this application and you'll hear back with further instructions based on your eligibility.
The Department of Small Business Services also offers frequent, in-person courses across the city. Check out upcoming classes here.